Whatcha lookin' for?

Friday, September 11, 2009

Our Bucket List

I don’t know if it’s because I’m turning 30 this year, or if it’s just that now that I’m done having my babies maybe I want to know that there is something more out there, besides laundry and diapers. It’s not that I don’t enjoy my kids, or that I’m not grateful for them, it’s just that I still want to know that there is an adventure waiting for me, that my identity isn’t totally illustrated by the word mother. Wow, I so don’t want to sound like I am ungrateful for my kids, I know how blessed I am, so let me get to the point….

Dave and I have made a bucket list over the last twelve years. It isn’t in any particular order, just a list of things we would like to do before we kick the bucket. I know it seems silly to have made a list at our young age, but really we aren’t guaranteed 24 hours, knowing me I could close my computer, stand up, trip on the laptop cord and impale myself on one of my kids’ toys. Death is always waiting, just right around the corner, the question is what corner and when will I turn it?

I understand that I probably sound a little morbid here, or at the very minimum extremely crazy, but really there is so much I haven’t done, and haven’t seen. So Dave and I figured, why wait until we’re old, let’s get started now when we can still physically enjoy what this world has to offer.

So here’s our list, some are silly, some are hugely important and others just are- well they are what they are, just things to do because for some reason or another they provide us with a sense of fulfillment in who we are.

So here goes:

Explore the Mayan Ruins

Explore Australia

Read the Entire Bible

Dog Sled in Alaska

Go to the Indi 500

Swim with Dolphins

Watch Grizzly Bears feed in Alaska

Salmon fishing in Alaska

Release endangered baby sea turtles at the Plananitos Sea Turtle Camp in Mexico

Visit Mt. Rushmore

Geocache in every state in the U.S.

See the Egyptian Pyramids

See the Coliseum in Greece

Go sport fishing on Islamorada in the Florida Keys

See Brett Farv play in the NFL

Hike the Grand Canyon

Do a guided Elk hunt in Arizona

Raft the Colorado River

Rent a house boat and explore Lake Mead

Hike the Garden of the Gods in Southern Utah

Do a 2 week backpacking trip in the Sky Lakes Wilderness

Hunt for diamonds at the Diamond National Park in Arkansas

Explore Glacier National Park

Explore Scotland

Drive the Alaskan Hwy, and then buy a bumper sticker bragging about it.

Build an orphanage in Haiti

See the world’s largest ball of yarn

Take a cross country road trip

Do an African Safari

See the Great Wall of China

Watch a Civil War reenactment, visit Gettysburg

See Niagara Falls

Throw a dart once a year at a huge wall map of the earth and travel to wherever the dart lands

Visit Normandy

See Tunisia in Africa (where Grandpa Schober was during the war)

Renew our vows on a beach somewhere

Drink beer from real steins in Germany

Visit every State Park along HWY 101

Kayak the San Juan Islands

Ski Vale, Colorado

Visit Loveland, Colorado (Dave’s birthplace)

Zip line in Sequoia National Park

Sky dive

Catch fire flies in a jar

Visit Pearl Harbor

So this is just a start, and well, it’s plenty to keep us busy for the rest of our lives. It isn’t just about crossing things off this list, it’s about living everyday like it’s our last, it’s about showing up 100%, not taking anything for granted, and realizing that the feeling I get when spending a sick day with my girls, cuddled on the couch together, is just as important as the feeling I’ll get when I zip line through the canopy of the Sequoias…these are the fibers that we weave together to form our lives, our legacy. I want my girls to know that I valued every moment, because in the end the moments are all we have. They may be woven into 100 years, or 30 years. They may be messy and ragged, they may not make sense, and they don’t have to. Most of our lives don’t make sense until that final moment when our eyes are truly opened. As a very wise person once said, “Life should not be measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

I hope that we will hit everything on our list; I hope that our journey is filled with everything we hope for, and a lot that we don’t…just to keep us on our toes. After all I bet the list God has written for us is much better than our own, He always plans so much BIGGER than we can ever dream.

May your list take your breath away…before your breath is taken away.

4 comments:

  1. So first of all dear friend, watch out for that laptop cable, and pick up the toys off the floor, especially the sharp ones! hehe

    A great list, and very well spoken as usual. :) And NOW is the BEST time to make that list and start doing it, you're absolutely right! :) To choose the life you want to have each moment you are living it, because it's too late after the fact! I love the weave part, because that's another great reminder of our lives, and how the light, dark, shade and bright are all part of it. Your list is wonderful, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shauna, That is quite a list. My favourite is 'Throw a dart and go where it lands" That is a bold move. Living in the moment would be my first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna,
    How beautifully written. And I hear that you 'get it'. That it isn't about these perceived special events that take our breath away and make our lives richer. It is truly about how we breathe in and value the moments of our lives. And God always does seem to have bigger vision for us (as we flow) than we ever could).
    We have had many adventures in the last couple of years in 19 countries and thousands of miles on our sailboat. And we do currently live on a tropical paradise island. And yet, what I realize is that every day is a gift, no matter, and I get to choose. Isn't that the best.
    Thank you for sharing this piece. So many of these things can be shared with the girls as well. Hallelujah. I celebrate that you really do see what is to be valued and are celebrating that.
    thanks for sharing,
    Janet Golly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shauna, Well once again you make me cry. You know that I truely hope and pray that you are able to get to all the things on your list, as well as all of the great ones that God is waiting to surprise you with. You inspire me to take a chance, and to try and live the life that God has given me, and maybe even steal a couple ideas from your list to begin one of my own. I love you! Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete