Whatcha lookin' for?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Adorable Terrorsits

I’m exhausted. Plain and simple, exhausted. I’m so tired I feel as though I could sleep for a week and still wake up feeling totally burnt out, cranky and on the verge of tears. The sad part is that I have no huge claim to this exhaustion; I haven’t just run a marathon, I haven’t just traveled the globe, I’m just a mom and a housewife. My days are spent doing everything for everyone else, even showering feels like work right now.

I know this sounds horrible, I know I sound totally pessimistic and well, like a whiny little bitch. I know that I need to just put on my big girl panties, deal with it and keep on trucking, but I wonder…do all new moms feel this way? Am I so totally chemically imbalanced? Is my post partum depression so bad that this isn’t normal? Or is it normal? Does every mom feel this way at one time or another?

Does anyone else not want to fall asleep because they know that within a few short hours they will be awoken by a crying child? Does anyone else get angry when they are awoken by a crying baby? I’m seriously asking… because I feel like the worst mom in the world.

I try to fill my daughters’ days with learning, reading, playing; I want to create an environment where exploration is celebrated. But as my 7 month old crawls around and forces me to get up once again to pull her away from trouble I get so very frustrated.

Yes motherhood is a lot of work, most days I wish I did have a job to go to, just to get a break, just to miss them, to escape the dishes, the laundry, the diapers for a few hours. I know a lot of my readers are probably thinking…HA! You think you have it bad! Or Stop complaining, at least you have a family and children. Don’t get me wrong I do feel blessed for my family, I do love them, I’m just spent. I just want to sleep, to take a bath by myself, to actually have time to shave my legs in the shower, to lie in my bed without one of three different people requiring something from me.

I guess I’m just selfish, somewhere between laundry and bedtime stories, I’ve lost myself.

I remember a time when I could look in the mirror and had time to pluck a stray eyebrow. I remember a time when the thought of going shopping wasn’t something that sent anxiety through my entire being. I remember a time when the phone rang I actually felt excited about answering it and having a wonderful uninterrupted conversation with a friend, but times have changed.

Now I don’t even look in the mirror, and when I do it’s followed by a feeling of loss as I evaluate my stretch marks and scars. I look at my tattoo that once represented my freedom and now can only be described as a bug that has been smeared on a windshield. (For anyone out there who hasn’t yet had children, even if your DR tells you that you can’t have kids, NEVER get a tattoo on your stomach!)

Most of all I remember a time when I smiled regularly, when I woke up excited about my day and the activities that I had planned, I remember going on vacation and not worrying about the one’s I left behind for the week. Now I wish I could go on vacation, but the thought of all the work that would have to be done in order to arrange childcare, dog care, house care, etc etc…well it’s not even worth it.

So what do I do, besides whine to my computer screen, praying someone will validate these feelings…begging “does ANYONE understand?”

I guess I do what I always do…I breathe, I force a smile, I pray….and I repeat, over and over and over, because sometimes that’s all I can do.

Now I would love to finish this but my baby has filled her diaper once again, I’m laughing at myself now because I’m actually excited about this, only a mom who has experienced a constipated baby will understand my joy at this moment in time.

6 comments:

  1. trust me hon your not alone in this, your feelings are so natural, one thing for the crying baby in the middle of night give her a bath with you (if you nursing) let her nurse in the tub with you washing her with bedtime bath wash by johnson and johnson I truly loved that stuff my kids slept through the night upon me using that, it was awesome.

    I would love to have your address I want to send you something really truly worth while.
    my prayers are with you. at this point I know things are rough for you, i have been there numerous times, and faith is what got me through, I'm positive God will not leave you, and I know that he will walk with you through this.
    also go to guidepost.com and read the story of the mother it will touch you big time. you know what you also need to make time for yourself it's not healthy if you don't Trust me I had a nervous brake down because of this exact reason.

    if you need to talk to anyone no matter what time day or night call me 541-865-4372 I wish I could reach out and give you a big hug right now, but know that I am praying for you and that You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest Friend,
    I love you so much!!
    You ARE a wonderful Mom - at the moment, it's at the detriment to yourself and I wish there was some way I could help.

    I'm so proud of you for being so open about your feelings as a Mom, publicly. If more mothers were honest about their feelings, there would be a better support network for eachother - rather than the usual competition & judgement that I hear happens amongst mothers' groups.
    I don't know how to "solve" these issues but just try to take time for yourself - allocate time, yes it will require planning so someone can be your back up... but you need breaks along the way; I don't see how you can do it with no breaks in between. I'm rambling..... I just care for you very much, and want the best for you.
    XOXO

    Love always,
    Catherine.

    P.S - I am two blogs behind on here, I'm so sorry! Must do that, and click on some ads too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I always enjoy reading your blog. "

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauna,

    I am amazed at how well you are able to articulate and express your thoughts and feelings in your sleep-deprived state...truly impressive! :D

    And yes, you are not alone. I've been through it all...that is why I am convinced the female brain goes through some sort of amnesia or brainwash between children to go through it all over again. And again. Even as I read your blog, I just "can't wait" for my Baby to be born! :D It's been 5 and a half years since I have done it, and I am headed into the sleepless, energy-sucking, self-sacrificial vortex, yet again.

    I guess because at the end of the day, or thousands of days (and nights) I know deep down that what I do as a wife and mom has eternal value. That the world will be a better place because I cared to take the time to teach my kids right from wrong, and how to love. That I don't work my big bootie off for a paycheck, but that really knowing my family (for better or worse) is priceless.

    These months, these tough early years will pass and your perseverance will be rewarded with a strength in character you cannot buy, and wouldn't trade the world for.

    Hang in there, and I will be praying for you! :D

    Sincerely, Carly Diggs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know that you are not alone. For some crummy reason that knowledge alone will not ease your exhaustion. Here is my advice...from someone who has been there...#1 Take a nap with your kids (you know I've said this for years, best thing I ever did - make sure to turn off the phone and put a note on the doorbell that anyone who rings it will be killed) #2 Buy the big deal of paper plates from Costco, and don't do the dishes....you will be soooo frusterated with taking out the trash that soon you will long to wash your plates. #3 Take your shower when Dave is home to watch the girls, lock the door, burn some candles, shave your legs.....and don't look at the tattoo, what is the point? Most importantly - TAKE CARE OF MY SISTER, because in a few years all of this stuff will just be a memory - "..if your gonna laugh about it later, you might as well start now...it saves time."
    Love you, wish I was there to give you a great big hug and a break...
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shauna - trust me, you are not alone!! :) It does get better, and then it gets worse, and then it gets better! :) Seriously, it changes day-to-day and sometimes minute to minute. You'll do fine. And if I didn't live 3 hours away, I would totally take the girls and give you a night off!! Heck, if you want to drive to Eugene, I would do it! :)

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete