Whatcha lookin' for?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Do you love me enough?



This past weekend I felt like I did at least of year’s worth of growing up. It was exhausting, humbling and an emotional roller coaster ride.

My Grandfather died, while I was in the room, talking to him. Right in front of my eyes he let go, I felt his soul leave; goose bumps covered my flesh, tears, panic and somewhere deep inside relief came over me.

I don’t do death, I haven’t for over 12 years, and sure death has come and been a part of my life, like everyone’s I suppose. But I have avoided it at all costs, due to my fear and an overwhelming need to protect myself.

On Thursday I got the call, Grandpa was sick, I told my mother that no, I wouldn’t be going to say goodbye. But sometime later that night I could hear my Grandfather’s voice asking, “Do you love me enough to be uncomfortable? Do you love me enough to let me go?” I course do, and so I drove, to what would be the most emotionally scary place in my life, to see my hero take his last breath, to tell my hero what he has meant to me, at first I didn’t think I was doing this for me, I told myself I was doing it for him, but now I understand that he was doing this for me. Him letting go in front of me was his last lesson for me: I was strong enough to get through it.

I’m still struggling with the visions of things I can’t un-see. I still have questions, but now I have a sense of peace, I know where my Grandpa is, and I know that death, while terrifying- is part of life, it is another birth into perhaps the greatest part of life.

I am honored that my Grandfather let go of his last grasp in this world while I was present, he was always so in control, a real patriarch. He would never want anyone to be uncomfortable in his presence, unless it was of course for their own good. And so I am humbled.

This is more of a diary entry than a blog, I suppose, somehow just writing these jumbled thoughts and emotions feels better than keeping them in my exhausted brain.

At this point I could be asking God why, but after that distinct moment I have my why. I know what myself and every other person in the room confirmed to me, he wasn’t gone; there was a very real presence of his soul, his being, with us. I guess a lot of people may think I’m crazy, or just trying to make myself feel better, but my faith has only grown stronger since this has happened. If I’m wrong and there is no God, then nothing will happen when I leave this earth, if I’m right then I know I will be in his presence and my grandfather’s, that’s an insurance policy I can’t refuse.

Grandpa, I’m so thankful for all of the lessons you taught me, most of all I’m so thankful for every single breath we shared.

“Life should not be measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”




5 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for writing this, love ya - Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your innermost feelings. "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards".
    I'm so glad you had the courage to face your fear, and so glad for the experiences it allowed. It's all about how we grow from experiences, rather than what they are I think.... and you have just experienced a massive growth spurt. I'm so proud of you, for the perspective you are seeing this with.
    I love you very much!
    ~ Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{Hugs!!}}} Honestly, I couldn't even read all the way through so I'll have to come back! :) Reminds me of my grandpa - a year and half ago, but still so fresh on the heart! I take comfort in knowing that my kids got to meet that amazing man, and I'm sure you do, too!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for the courage to write it down sister! Love you always...
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a powerfully message. I'm sorry u had to go through that, when grandma pasted I felt her in the room even after a month of being gone. Its a hard thing to go through and when one door closes another opens.

    ReplyDelete